Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

There’s something about a steaming bowl of chicken tortilla soup that is so comforting. The warm broth is made even better by the combination of spices and various toppings. I think tortilla soup is kind of like gumbo… everyone makes it just slightly different. Here’s my version. Feel free to “mix it up” and make your own adjustments. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 1b chicken tenders
Chili powder
Garlic salt
Cumin Powder
Olive Oil

1 white onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Olive Oil

1 quart chicken broth
2 cups water
1 can Mexican style stewed tomatoes – break the tomatoes apart
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 teaspoon chili powder
1 ½ teaspoon cumin powder
Salt to taste
Cayenne or Red Pepper flakes - optional

Corn tortillas or tortilla chips
Optional toppings: Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese, Avocado

Directions:

Sprinkle seasonings on both sides of the chicken tenders. Drizzle olive oil in a non-stick pan, heat and cook tenders approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat. Allow chicken to cook; shred with two forks.

Drizzle some olive oil in a soup pot. Heat and add onions, peppers and garlic. Sauté for 7 - 10 minutes. Deglaze pan with chicken broth and water.

Add can of stewed tomatoes, after breaking the tomatoes apart. Add tomato paste, chili powder and cumin powder. (and cayenne or pepper flakes if desired) Bring to a simmer; return shredded chicken to soup. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes. Taste for salt and seasonings and adjust to your liking.

Serve with any or all of the following toppings: Corn tortilla strips, crumbled corn chips, sour cream, cheddar cheese or avocado.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive