Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Italian Meatloaf - Individual Size


My husband and son really enjoyed my Cajun Meatloaf creation, click HERE for recipe, so I decided to experiment with Italian Meatloaf.  My twist was instead of making one or two giant meatloaves – I would portion them into individual serving sizes.  These turned out GREAT.  The kiddo really loved these – and being the carnivore that he is – he wanted two the first night we had them.  They are savory, a little bit spicy, and can be warmed up in the microwave for dinner in a flash.  Enjoy with some pasta or a salad – and dinner is served!

Ingredients:

Olive Oil
1 ½ white onions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 ½ tablespoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (can use less or none – depending upon your taste and tolerance for “spicy”)
½ cup – ¾ cup beef broth
1 cup tomato-basil spaghetti sauce (I like Trader Joe’s brand, or Classico)
1 ½ cups Italian bread crumbs (I use Progresso)
2 – 2 ½ lbs ground beef (I used 85% lean one time and 93% lean the other.  Turned out great both ways)
2 eggs, beaten
Handful of chopped flat leaf parsley
Additional spaghetti sauce to spread on top of the meatloaves

Directions:

Heat a large skillet; drizzle olive oil into it. Add onions and garlic; sauté until translucent – but be careful not to burn.  Add beef broth as needed to keep onions from sticking and burning.

Add basil, oregano, pepper flakes, remaining beef broth and 1 cup of spaghetti sauce.  Bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.

In a large bowl combine bread crumbs, eggs, flat leaf parsley and onion mixture.  Thoroughly combine. 

Add ground beef to the onion/breadcrumb mixture.  Using a large spoon – or your hands – mix well.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup.  Form the meat mixture into 8 individual meat loaves. 

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Top each meatloaf with 2 -3 spoons of spaghetti sauce.  Return to oven and continue cooking for 30 - 35 more minutes.

Remove from oven and enjoy immediately. Or, these can be refrigerated and heated in the microwave (approximately 1 minute) for lunch or an easy dinner on a busy weeknight. 

1 comment:

Columbo said...

This was a great recipe. The meatloaf was by far the best I have ever had! Thanks for being such a great chef!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive