Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Ropa Vieja (Cuban Shredded Beef)

Ropa Vieja is a Cuban dish – quite literally translated, it means “Old Clothes”.  Made with beef, it is cooked with luscious vegetables and spices until the meat can be shredded easily with a fork.  It’s kind of like the Cuban version of “pulled pork” – only with beef and no barbeque sauce.  Ha!  Most recipes use Flank Steak.  I’ve made it this way three times – and I’m never happy with the results.  The meat is too stringy.  So, this time I used a Bottom Round Roast…. HEAVEN!  Try it… You’ll like it!
 
Ingredients:
 
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
4 -5 cloves garlic, chopped
15 oz. can diced tomatoes
8 oz. can tomato sauce
4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
½ cup dry red wine
¼ cup beef broth
2 ½ - 3 pound bottom round roast
1 heaping Tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
 
Directions:
 
In the bowl of a crock pot scatter in the onion, peppers, jalapeno and garlic; toss to combine.  Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.  Pour in the red wine vinegar, red wine and beef broth.
 
In a small bowl combine the cumin, chili powder and smoked paprika.  Cut the roast crosswise, in half.  Rub the spice mixture all over the roast.  Toss any excess spice mixture into the crock pot.
 
Place the two pieces of roast in the crock pot on top of the vegetables.
 
Cover and cook on high for 2 hours; turn down to low and continue cooking for 3 – 4 additional hours.  It’s done when the beef falls apart easily; shredded with two forks.
 
Serve over rice – or on tortillas.  Heaven!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive