Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hot and Sour Soup

I really enjoy a good bowl of Hot and Sour soup. The only problem is finding what I consider “good”. Sometimes the consistency is almost syrupy. And that I don’t find appealing. I enjoy this soup when it is really spicy and very tangy. So, I add a lot of chili-garlic sauce and vinegar. I’ve toned it down a bit for those with milder palates. If you prefer to make this vegetarian, you would leave out the pork, add more tofu, and substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. I believe it would be just as tasty.

Ingredients:

2 lbs ground pork
14 oz. extra firm tofu, cut into small chunks
1 white onion, sliced thinly lengthwise
2 quarts chicken broth
1 quart water
2 cups dried black fungus
2 – 15oz cans Straw Mushrooms (drained and rinsed)
1 can sliced bamboo shoots
**¼ cup white vinegar (I like to use the white wine vinegar, but distilled white vinegar will work too)
**¼ cup Chili-Garlic Sauce



Directions:

1. Put dried fungus into a bowl; add cold water to cover and let sit for about 30 minutes. Drain and rinse before adding to the soup.

2. Fry the pork in a large pot until browned. If there is too much residual grease, drain some of the fat. Add the onions and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.

3. Add the chicken broth and water; bring to a boil.

4. Reduce heat. Add the black fungus (after it has been drained and rinsed), straw mushrooms, and bamboo shoots; cook for 30 minutes.

5. Add the vinegar, chili sauce and tofu; continue cooking for another 15 minutes.

**Give the soup a taste and add more vinegar and chili-garlic sauce to your liking. I use a ½ cup of each. But, as I mentioned in the introduction – I really like it spicy and tangy! If you get too much vinegar and chili garlic sauce in it, you can always add extra chicken broth to tone it down.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive