Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Empanadas

Last night was Spanish Tapas night with my girlfriends. I made small Empanadas and served Spanish Wine with an assortment of Spanish Cheeses, a medley of grapes and Marcona Almonds. (all available at Trader Joes). My girlfriends all brought yummy finger food too. Here’s my recipe for the Empanadas.
Ingredients:

½ lb ground beef, turkey or chicken
1/3 onion, finely chopped
Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ small can of Herdez salsa verde
1 tsp of cumin powder
1/2 tsp of salt

Package of Pillsbury ready pie crust
Olive oil

Egg & Water for egg wash

Directions:

Drizzle olive oil in skillet and heat; sauté onions and garlic until translucent.

Add ground meat to pan and cook through. Add cumin, salt, cilantro and salsa. Allow to cool.

Unroll the pie crust, cut into circles with cookie cutter or large mouth glass. I was able to get 6 circles out of each of the crusts. Could have gotten more had I reassembled the pieces and rolled it out again.

Place filling onto each pie crust circle. Fold circle I half and crimp edges with a fork.

Brush egg and water wash on top of each empanada. Bake on cookie sheet at 350 until golden brown. Approximately 20 – 25 minutes.

Serve with a side of the Herdez Salsa Verde for dipping, or a spoonful on top.
 

2 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I have been wanting to try empanadas for a while, you just reminded me to. Your version sounds terrific! Tapas night sounds like fun!

irish daisies said...

oh yummy your empanadas look so good. and it sounds like you had a great time also :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive