Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Cream of Asparagus Soup

We had dinner at a new restaurant a while back.  The soup of the day was cream of asparagus.  I love asparagus – but had never had this type of soup.  So, I ordered it.  I wasn’t super impressed.  It seemed to lacking “something”, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.  So, as I’m prone to do, I began the process of trying to recreate the soup – only better.  After several attempts – this is what I’ve got for you today.  Mmm Mmm Good!
 
Ingredients:
 
Drizzle of Olive Oil
1 small white onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 – 2 pinches red pepper flakes
1 – 1 ½ lbs. asparagus, ends cut off and then chop spears into chunks
1 quart chicken broth
2 chicken bouillon cubes
 
2 – 3 oz. fresh spinach
 
2 Tbls. Butter
2 heaping Tbls. Flour
1 cup milk
 
Directions:
Drizzled the olive oil into a soup pot.  Sauté the onions, garlic and red pepper flakes for about seven minutes; until the onions are translucent.  Add the chicken broth, bouillon cubes and chopped asparagus.  Bring to simmer and cook until the asparagus is well cooked; about 25 minutes.  Allow to cool.
Place the soup ingredients in a blender and whirl until completed blended.  Add some of the spinach.  I add about a handful at a time.  You want to give a nice green color to the soup – but not too dark of a green.  So, I find adding a little spinach at a time allow you to control the color of the soup.
To the same pot in which you cooked the asparagus, make a roux by adding the butter and then flour.  Cook just a minute or two; add the milk and whish until well blended.  Now, add the soup mixture from the blender.  Whisk to completely combine.  Continue cook for just about five minutes.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with chives.  FANTASTIC!
 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive