Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

Back in the 1960’s Rumaki was a popular cocktail party appetizer.  They were made with a piece of chicken liver and a half of a water chestnut wrapped in bacon.  I believe soy sauce, or perhaps teriyaki, was used too.  Now, I do enjoy chicken livers, but I know they’re not everyone’s “cup of tea”.  I found this recipe to make this tasty treat, sans the chicken liver.  It’s delicious.  The soy sauce, brown sugar and ketchup makes a salty sweet sauce that candy’s the bacon.  The crunch of the water chestnut wrapped in the syrupy smoky bacon is shear perfection.  Crunchy, salty and sweet – all in one bite on a toothpick.  Sounds like heaven to me – and tasted like it too!

Ingredients:

2 (8 oz.) cans whole water chestnuts, drained and patted dry
1 lb. lean bacon, cut in half
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1 heaping teaspoon of dry mustard
1 teaspoon of Chinese Hot mustard
Toothpicks

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Soak water chestnuts in Kikkoman soy sauce for 15 minutes, stirring a few times to make sure they are fully coated.
Remove water chestnuts from soy sauce.

Wrap 1/2 strip of bacon around each; secure with toothpicks.

Reserve soy sauce.

Place chestnuts toothpick side up in a 7” x 11” glass baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes or until desired crispness.

Remove chestnuts from dish and drain grease. Replace chestnuts in the same dish.

Meanwhile, add ketchup and brown sugar to reserved soy sauce, stir well to combine.  Pour sauce evenly over the chestnuts to coat.

Bake chestnuts an additional 25 to 35 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive