Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Friday, January 1, 2021

Chicken Lasagna Soup

 This recipe is from the Pioneer Woman.  I saw her make it on her show one day and it looked wonderful.  I opted to add chicken to the soup for a heartier lunch. However, you could omit the chicken and substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth to make this vegetarian.  The soup is creamy, without being too heavy, and it's super yummyServe with a salad and warm crusty garlic bread and you’ve got a meal that will warm you on these cold winter days. 

Ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil

16 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms  

1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves  

1 teaspoon kosher salt  

2 teaspoons Italian seasoning  

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup all-purpose flour  

6 cups chicken broth  (or vegetable broth, if preferred)

1 cup heavy cream  

8 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles, broken into roughly 2-inch pieces **

4 cups (one 5-ounce container) baby spinach  

1 lb. chicken tenders, cut into bite sized pieces

Ricotta cheese, for serving  

Pesto sauce, for serving

** I used regular lasagna noodles and cooked them in boiling water until al dente.  Then, I cut them into 2” pieces and added to the soup and continued cooking a few extra minutes.

Directions:

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms, thyme and salt, then stir. Cook until the liquid is released and the mushrooms are browned, 6 to 8 minutes.

Add the Italian seasoning and garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with the flour, stirring until the flour has coated all the mushrooms. Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer; simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.

Add the heavy cream and chicken tenders; return to a simmer. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook just until the spinach wilts, about 1 minute.

Turn the heat off and ladle into bowls. Garnish with a few dollops of ricotta cheese and a few drizzles of pesto.


Click here for printable recipe.

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive