Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lamb and Spinach Curry (Lamb Saag)

Oh my!  Indian Lamb.  Probably my FAVORITE Indian meal.  So succulent and flavorful.  Serve it over fluffy aromatic basmati rice.  The perfect meal!  I use my large non-stick skillet with a lid from Costco for this recipe. It is about 3 – 4 inches deep. Perfect for a meal like this.

Ingredients:

6 tbls Olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
6 cloves
6 cardamom pods, break open and remove the seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 boneless leg of lamb, visible fat removed and cut into 1” pieces
2 onions chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
2” piece of ginger, finely chopped
2 tbls ground cumin
2 tbls ground coriander
1 tbls turmeric
1 tsp salt
Cayenne pepper to taste
¼ - ½ cup water
1 tbls garam masala (A spice blend that is available in Indian food stores. If you can’t find an Indian food store, you can also make it yourself using common spices and a coffee grinder. Search the internet for the recipe. )
2 – 10oz pkgs frozen chopped spinach – defrosted and all excess water squeezed out
¾ cup half and half, or cream

Directions:

Warm the skillet and add the olive oil. When heated, add the cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom seeds and cinnamon stick. Heat until the seeds begin to sputter. Add the chopped onions, garlic and ginger. Sauté for 4 – 5 minutes.

Add the lamb pieces and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, salt and cayenne. Fry until you can’t see any pink on the outside of the lamb. Sometimes the lamb creates enough liquid on its own, so I don’t have to add any liquid. If it seems dry, add a little bit of the water. You can always add more if necessary.

Reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Cook for about 50 minutes. Check often to make sure that the mixture hasn’t dried out.

Remove lid; add the spinach and garam masala. Stir well to combine, and replace lid. Cook for about 10 – 15 more minutes.

Remove lid, increase heat. If there is some excess liquid you can cook for several minutes to let it evaporate. Add the half and half. Cook to heat through. You want the mixture to be creamy – not runny. If there is still too much liquid you can mix a little cornstarch with cold water and add to the lamb.

Serve over fluffy white rice – basmati is preferable.

2 comments:

Columbo said...

This is my favorite by far. So tasty! I know you will love it.

eat, drink n rock said...

another indian dish!!! you rock

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive