Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Black Eyed Peas


Any southerner "worth their salt" will tell you that eating black-eyed peas on New Years Day brings good luck and prosperity to the new year! I've been eating black-eyed peas on New Years Day for most of my life. My Grandma Maurine was from Alabama, and she made sure to teach me the traditions of the south. Although Grandma wasn't the best of cooks, this was one dish she knew how to make quite well - this and Southern Green Beans. (Click here for the recipe.)

Ingredients:

1 bag of black eyed peas (soaked according to package directions)
1 lb of bacon, chopped into bite sized pieces **
1 white onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbls Old Bay seasoning
6 - 8 cups of water
1 Chicken Bouillon cube

** Note: I normally use a couple of ham hocks and some chunks of ham. Decided to try using bacon this time. It's just as good.

Directions:
1. Heat a soup pot over flame. Add bits of bacon and fry until it begins to brown. Drain some of the grease, but leave a little for flavor.
2. Add garlic and onion to bacon, continue stirring until onions become translucent. Add a little bit of the water to de-glaze the pan. Add drained black-eyed peas; stir to combine.
3. Add enough water to cover the peas, with about 1" to spare. Add the bouillon cube and Old Bay seasoning.
4. Cook uncovered until mixture comes to a boil. Lower heat and place a lid on pot, but leave it slightly ajar. Cook stirring often for approximately 2 hours. Continue checking that there is enough water. Do not let the beans go dry before they are cooked through.
5. Remove lid and continue cooking until the peas are less soupy. This should be the consistency of chili, not soup.
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

nolablossom said...

I'll be cooking black eyed peas and cabbage too. Gotta have the good luck dinner on New Year's Day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive