Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mushroom Barley Side Dish

This is a 24-hour fitness recipe. I haven’t adjusted it at all. It’s perfect, just the way it is. I like to enjoy it as a side dish to whatever meat we are having for dinner. It’s also quite good for lunch, paired with a salad.

Ingredients:

1 small leek, remove outer leaves and rinse well. Finely chop
1 tsp olive oil
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
¾ cup pearl barley
1 2/3 cup vegetable or beef broth
1/3 cup dry white wine

Grated Parmesan for garnish, Salt & Pepper to taste.

Directions:

Add oil to large nonstick skillet (that has a lid) and heat over medium heat until hot. Add chopped leek, mushrooms and garlic. Sauté until mushrooms are tender.

Add uncooked barley, broth, and wine; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 15 to 18 minutes or until barley is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.

Remove from heat and let stand for 5 – 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and salt and pepper to taste.

Mushroom-Barley Side Dish on Foodista

Mushroom-Barley Side Dish

This is a 24-hour fitness recipe. I haven’t adjusted ...

See Mushroom-Barley Side Dish on Key Ingredient.

5 comments:

Paz said...

Sounds nutritious and tasty.

I like the spinach/strawberry salad below, too.

Paz

Donna-FFW said...

This looks like such a nice flavorful side dish!!

Columbo said...

This was very tasty, I am so lucky to get to try all these receipes first hand.

La Bella Cooks said...

This looks perfectly comforting! Anything with mushrooms is a winner for me.

Barley seed said...

Looks like a dish full of nutrients. Looks amazing and yummy. Barley is very healthy. It helps in various ways like for skin purifier, cures pimples, it is rich in nutrients and has many other benefits.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive