Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Savory Breakfast Casserole

This is a wonderful recipe from the Cooking Light Cookbook – 2004 version. You can prepare the recipe as is, or if you want to be “sinful” use more of the egg yolks and real Italian sausage. While the recipe calls for reduced-fat cheese – I use regular. Gotta have SOME fun in life!

Ingredients:

2 cups 2% milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
½ cup chopped green onion
½ tsp dry mustard
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground pepper
8 large egg whites*
4 whole eggs*
14 oz. meatless fat free sausage, crumbled (I use “Gimme Lean” brand)*
4 slices of white bread, cubed
Cooking spray

* If I were making this NOT in the Cooking Light method, I would use a dozen whole eggs and a pound of cooked Italian sausage that had been crumbled. I supposed you could also substitute crumbled cooked bacon. Mmm!

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place eggs in large mixing bowl. Beat lightly. Add milk, ½ cup of the cheese, green onions, and the spices. Whisk mixture.

Divide the sausage and bread evenly between 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans that have been coated with cooking spray.

Pour egg mixture evenly into the two pans; top each pan with ¼ cup of the cheese.

Cover each pan with foil; back at 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover pans and continue baking for 40 additional minutes.

Yields two casseroles, 3 servings each.

Savory Breakfast Casserole on Foodista

Savory Breakfast Casserole

This is a wonderful recipe from the Cooking Light Cookbook ...

See Savory Breakfast Casserole on Key Ingredient.

2 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

This looks delicious. I am always looking for new breakfast menu ideas. Thank you!

Columbo said...

It was delicious, awesome, and I am a very lucky husband to have the first taste.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive