Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Monday, December 28, 2009

Brown Sugar Buttermilk Pie

Here’s another yummy recipe I found in a magazine several years ago. The description says “A mild buttermilk tang offsets the sweetness of this caramel-colored custard pie”. I finally decided to try it this weekend. It was quite good; not as sweet as I would have expected. I would recommend having some whipped cream or ice cream to accompany it.

Ingredients:

9” deep dish pie crust (The recipe actually calls for a store bought crust. This sounds right up my alley!)
1 cup packed golden brown sugar
3 Tbls. all purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ cups buttermilk
3 Tbls. unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Directions:

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Thaw pie crust 10 minutes. Bake crust until pale golden; about 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350.

Blend brown sugar and flour with mixer. Add eggs, yolk and vanilla. Beat until blended. Add buttermilk and melted butter and process just to blend. Pour mixture into cooled crust.

Bake pie until filling puffs and is almost set but center still moves slightly when pan is shaken; about 45 minutes.

Cool pie on rack to room temperature. Chill until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Cut into wedges and serve.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Ummm, yummmmmm!

Columbo said...

I loved it, specially adding a little whip cream to it. Try it!

smc said...

That pie looks and sounds absolutely delicious. Also, congratulations on winning guacamole and salsa on Foodie Blogroll!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive