Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Baked Ziti

It’s kind of like lasagna – but a bit easier to make.

Ingredients:

1 lb box of ziti, or penne pasta
2 lb container ricotta cheese
1 – 1 ½ lb grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated parmesan
2 eggs, beaten
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp garlic salt
Generous handful of finely sliced fresh basil leaves
Large jar of your favorite pasta sauce. I use Classico Tomato Basil. You may want some extra sauce to ladle over the ziti once it has baked.

Directions:

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.

In a bowl mix ricotta cheese with parmesan, garlic powder, eggs, basil & garlic salt.

Spray a 13 x 9 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of the pan and swirl around to evenly coat the pan.

Layer ½ the pasta in the pan; layer ½ of the mozzarella cheese on top of it; evenly spread the ricotta mixture over the cheese; place almost all of the rest of the mozzarella on top of that – reserve enough to sprinkle on the top of the dish when finished. Place the remaining pasta on top of the cheese and then cover with the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top. (Order: sauce, pasta, cheese, ricotta, cheese, pasta, sauce, cheese)

Cover with foil and place into 350 oven to bake until bubbly – approximately 35 – 45 minutes. Remove foil after about 30 minutes so that the cheese on top can brown.

Note: Can be made and put together and then refrigerated until ready to bake. Typically, I make this the day before I’m going to bake and serve it. If baked after being in the fridge – it will take about an hour to cook through. Suggestion, remove from fridge 1 – 2 hours before cooking so that it won’t take so long to heat through.

4 comments:

Salem Man said...

That's reminding me of the huge dinners with my family in upstate New York. When we would go out and visit, my Aunt Aida would do baked ziti, sausage and peppers, ham, and a special lasagna for my oldest brother who said he liked it when he was two years old. If you didn't fill at least two plates full of all the above entrees plus side dishes it was considered an insult.

5Youngers said...

Yummo... I love Ziti!

Columbo said...

I was a lucky one to get to try this and I must say, AWESOME! Thanks Honey for being such a good cook.

Laura said...

Mmmmmmm, looks fab!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive