Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tamarind Martini

Found this recipe in my Cooking Light 2009 cookbook and also online at myrecipes.com. Here's what the website said: Very yummy and refreshing. Tamarind, a common ingredient in Indian, Thai, and Mexican cuisines, adds an acidic, slightly tart flavor to food. The pulp is sold in cakes at ethnic markets and some large supermarkets. Use a fork or your hands to break up the paste and separate it from the seeds before straining. If you make these martinis ahead, be sure to shake the drink in a martini shaker or stir it with the crushed ice just before serving.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup)

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups boiling water
4 ounces unsweetened tamarind pulp
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup vodka
1 cup fresh lime juice
Crushed ice
Sugar (optional)
Lime wedges (optional)

Preparation:


1. Combine 2 1/2 cups boiling water and tamarind in a large bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Break tamarind into small pieces; let stand 5 minutes. Strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid; discard solids.

2. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at HIGH for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring once. Cool. Combine tamarind liquid, sugar syrup, vodka, and juice in a pitcher, stirring well. Add crushed ice; stir or shake well. Garnish rims of 8 martini glasses with sugar, if desired. Strain chilled martini mixture into prepared glasses; garnish with lime wedges, if desired.


2 comments:

Columbo said...

Very interesting, and I really enjoyed. This was a nice surprise.

Amber said...

Yum. And what a beautiful picture!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive