Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Monday, September 6, 2010

Ginger Cookies

There is a wonderful independently owned movie theater in Salem - called the Salem Cinema.  It's really fantastic and we love going there several times a month to catch a unique movie, enjoy the freshly popped popcorn with REAL butter and brewers yeast, and to devour a delicious HUGE ginger cookie.  Honestly, the best $2 you'll ever spend.  I decided to make some ginger cookies at home.  I found a recipe HERE and they turned out great.  I'm not a confident enough baker to "play with" the ingredients when baking.  So, here is the recipe, as it appears on the AllRecipes.com website.  They aren't as big as the cookies at the theater - but they're packed with as much flavor!

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons white sugar

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.

2.In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
3.Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

Columbo said...

So glad you decide to try Ginger Cookies! Definitely a keeper.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive