Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Baking Powder Biscuits

I haven’t made homemade biscuits in years! But, I’ve been craving them, so I started hunting on the internet for recipe that I liked. I didn’t want to use shortening; I wanted to use butter. I finally found the recipe below from THIS website, which took it from a 1933 recipe.

The recipe talks about not using a pastry cutter or a fork; use your clean hands to work in the butter with the flour. It might be a little bit messy, but it works. I’ve made these biscuits three times and they turn out fluffy and delicious every time. It’s important not to over work the dough. Mix until it’s all moistened, and then gently fold it over, rather than kneading – then roll it out, or pat into shapes.

Ingredients:

2 cups sifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder
4 tablespoons butter or shortening (I used butter)
1/2 tsp. salt
about 3/4 cup milk

Directions:

Sift Flour once, measure, add baking powder and salt, and sift again.

Cut in shortening or butter. (This is where I use my hands by rubbing the butter into the flour).

Add milk gradually, stirring until soft dough is formed.

Turn out on lightly floured board and lightly "knead" for 30 seconds, enough to shape. Roll 1/2 inch thick and cut with 2 inch floured biscuit cutter.

Bake on ungreased sheet in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.

Makes 12 biscuits.

Note: You can also make tiny tea biscuits that are only 1 ½ inches wide with a small cutter or glass bottom. These are great served with tea, jam or honey. Makes 24.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmm.... nothing beats a homemade biscuit hot out of the oven. with butter and jam. Simple to make, but amazing to eat! Thanks for sharing!

PS you are right, all butter biscuits are way better =)

Columbo said...

Yummy, I enjoyed!!!!!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive