Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Friday, November 28, 2008

Creamed Corn

Most of us have eaten creamed corn from a can. Many of us love it and some of us don't. I happen to fall into the "don't" category. Whether you like creamed corn from the can, or not, I do believe you will thoroughly enjoy this recipe for homemade creamed corn. Many years ago there was a restaurant in Marina Del Rey, California called Gulliver's. They served really wonderful prime rib, Yorkshire pudding and creamed corn. This was their recipe - and it has become a family tradition for us at Thanksgiving. It is sweet and creamy and delectable. I think you should give it try. It's "delish"!

Ingredients -
(you can cut this recipe in half for a smaller crowd)

2 – 20oz packages of frozen corn
½ pint whipping cream
½ pint whole milk
1 tsp salt
½ tsp Accent
4 Tbls flour
Dash of white pepper
3 Tbls butter
8 tsp sugar

Directions -

Put corn in a saucepan. Add milk, cream, salt, accent, pepper and sugar. Cook until it comes to a full boil.

In a small saucepan melt the butter and add flour. Mix well. If it’s too pasty add some of the milk from the corn. You want this mixture to be thin enough that you can easily add it to the corn mixture.

Mix everything together well; continue cooking for an additional 10 – 15 minutes.

The corn mixture is best when thick. If you need to thicken the mixture, melt a little more butter and add some flour to it. Also, you can add some additional sugar if you would like the corn to be sweeter.

I like to make this the day before we serve it, because it tastes better the second day.

3 comments:

Laura said...

yummmm!! sounds so good! I'm making it tomorrow for our Sunday dinner!!

Jill said...

My husband just picked the last two ears from our little garden. I think I'll try this today. Really sounds delicious.

V. Adams said...

So...I had a craving for creamed corn tonight and I searched the web only to come across the photo for this recipe. I tried it and loved it! Even though I only had about 5 or 6 ounces of whipped cream and used 2% milk instead of whole milk, it still turned out delicious. Thanks for posting!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive