Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sweet Potato Medley


For many families Candied Yams with Marshmallows is a Thanksgiving tradition. I grew up with that dish - and it was one of my dad's favorites. However, I was never too keen on yams from a can. Even if they're prepared fresh - that just isn't one of the dishes I crave at Thanksgiving.
Here is a different twist on yams or sweet potatoes. They are creamy and buttery with a hint of sweet and maple that will make your mouth water! I promise you will not regret giving this dish a try at Thanksgiving - or any time!

Ingredients

5 or 6 medium sized yams – I used garnet this time. I try to find yams that are not too big in diameter, as I want them to be sweet and tender. I have used sweet potatoes as well. Whatever your preference.
1 large acorn squash
1 lb bag of baby carrots
1 cube of butter
¾ cup of brown sugar
2 tsp of salt
¼ cup of maple syrup (real maple syrup is best - but I've used Mrs. Butterworth or Log Cabin too)

Directions

Slice the squash in half, scoop out seeds, and place upside down on cookie sheet covered with foil. Bake at 350 for approximately one hour, or until tender.

Peel and cube the yams. Place into a steamer with the carrots. Steam until they are tender. Approximately 45 minutes.


After everything is cooked and steamed, mash together until well blended. I usually use my ricer in order to achieve a very fine consistency and not have any small chunks of carrots. This also helps to take out some of the "strings" present in the yams/sweet potatoes.

Add the butter, brown sugar, salt and maple syrup. Whip with electric mixer until well blended and creamy.

1 comment:

Columbo said...

I must admit, this was the best I ever had. Everybody loved this at Thanksgiving.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive