Welcome to my site!

Welcome to my site!
I'm Cindy, and I love to cook! And, I love to eat... hence the size of my rear end! I come from a long line of cooks. My great great Grandmother was a cook in the original Harvey Houses. My grandmother Julia was an awesome cook, and my mom was incredible. I owe my skills to these great women. Especially my Mom who said this to me about making gravy... "Cindy Lynn, wallpaper paste is wallpaper paste & gravy is gravy. Never the two shall meet!" Shall we say my first experience at making gravy left a little bit to be desired! Thank the high heavens my cooking skills have improved since then! Enjoy!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Louisiana Dirty Rice


Well, like gumbo, I suppose everyone makes Dirty Rice differently. Here is my recipe. It is called "dirty rice" because you fry the rice in the same pan as the meat. It’s one of those quick and easy recipes that are great for a dinner when you don’t have a lot of time, or energy. Serve it with a salad for a well rounded meal, or as a side dish.

Ingredients:

1Tbls. Olive Oil
1 white onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 ½ lbs. ground beef – or ground turkey
1 ¼ cup white rice, uncooked
2 1/2 cup beef or chicken broth
4 tsp Spike Seasoning (no salt)
2 tsp Johnny’s Seasoning Salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper, if you like spicy

Or, instead of the seasonings I have listed - you can use 1 - 2 Tbls of your favorite cajun spice.


Directions:

Drizzle olive oil in large non-stick skillet or pot that has a fitted lid.
Add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add meat and continue cooking until meat is cooked through. (Break meat into bite size pieces while cooking)
Add seasonings and stir until combined.
Add rice, and cook for several minutes. Add broth and cayenne, if using. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed.
Serve up and enjoy the taste of the south!

2 comments:

Columbo said...

One of my and John's favorite dishes. Yummy..........! Try it and you'll see.

Laura said...

Oooooh that looks good!!! I'm going to be trying that one for sure!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive